Monday 27 April 2009

A Question of Scale

There was an incident, many years ago, about which I still mock my dear husband.

I left him in charge of ordering us a new freezer.

And off he went and did all his research in a very thorough and 'man with important electrical business to undertake' way.

He located, via the Internet, the ideal freezer and WAIT FOR THIS - it was about half the price of any other freezer available. Even though it was made by a well respected brand and had all the 'bits' (whatever 'bits' freezers come with - I am unsure. I know what they don't come with - 6 inches of frozen pack ice, a multitude of stray peas and unidentifiable packages of frozen meat which may have been placed in there at any time during the last 5 years but you are dare not throw away because of fear of 'waste'. Thus they sit - frozen in time - like those Woolly Mammoths they occasionally uncover somewhere in Siberia).

The freezer sounds too good to be true?

Well yes, it was.

I was somewhat suspicious and a quick investigation on my part revealed that the reason the freezer was half the price of all the others was because it was (less than) half the size.

It was a miniature freezer. The kind of thing you would put in your caravan. The kind of thing which would hold a small pack of mince and a small pack of frozen peas (at a push).

Sigh.

It was like that bit in Spinal Tap where they confuse feet and inches and their show stopping replica of Stone Henge arrives looking more 8 inches than 8 feet high....

Anyway - I have of course regularly ripped the piss out of the poor man over his 'freezer/Spinal Tap' crapness.

Only recently Internet shopping seems to have been getting its own back.

The reason the bottle of wine I ordered (in which to cook a whole chicken) was so cheap was because it was a miniature bottle. You can imagine my surprise when I pulled it out of the bag to find I could fit the entire bottle in the palm of my hand.... I don't know about covering a whole chicken, I think it just about covered its ankle. I can't be sure because despair led me to drink it (all 2 gulps).

The reason the 'large gammon' I ordered (you know, like a giant ham you cook in a giant pan and feeds a family of 4 for 4 days?) was so cheap was because it was actually a large gammon STEAK. As in a sheet of meat - no more no less. Not feeding 4 people full stop.

The reason the raisins were so cheap was because they were a 'snack pack'. Not quite the 1kg sack I was hoping for.....

And so on.

My cupboards resemble some kind of scene from Alice in Wonderland where everything has shrunk.

So the moral is - read the small print. And be careful what you laugh at...

4 comments:

  1. Hee! I very nearly made that mistake on e-bay when I was looking for a nice interesting tea pot for the kitchen (where else?) and the one I nearly bad (bid?) on turned out to be so cute because it was for a bleedin' Dolls House!!! Nuff said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear. It's just as well you're happily espoused, my dear. It spares you those awkward dates and men who can't tell the difference between 8 inches and 8 centimetres...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I did just this - ordered off Amazon a very lovely and very reasonably-priced metal watering can for my sister's birthday (she wanted one!).....it arrived and was a child's one, holding approximately half a pint of water!! Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO glad I'm not the only one!! P - I don't want to ask many details about your dating experiences....;)

    ReplyDelete